Sunday, May 24, 2009

Training Begins!!


Lolli's training began almost the moment she arrived home, and if anyone doesn't think that a nine week old puppy is too young to learn, you should see this puppy!  We started immediately with leading her into a sit with a piece of kibble, and she caught on almost right away.  Within 18 hours of living here with us, she began presenting a sit regularly to see if she might get a treat for  it!  We already make her sit for everything...before getting a treat, a toy, getting let out of her crate, before going outside to play...she's even learning to sit in front of me when I call her over to me...my smart puppy!  She is also learning "down", again with a kibble lure...but she downs VERY enthusiastically for the treat!   To get ready for her arrival, I've been reading a book called "My Smart Puppy", written by Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson.  Their previous book, "Good Owners, Great Dogs" was my training bible with my last three dogs, and "My Smart Puppy" is even better.  I highly recommend both for anyone wanting a common sense, fun, reward based system for training their dogs...it's all about having fun with your dog.  Lolli doesn't even realize she is being "trained"...she just thinks it's great fun to figure out what to do for that treat.

I'm also working on "come" with Lolli, and she is already making great progress.  My premise here is that coming to me (or anyone) should always be a good thing, and always result in praise (and right now, treats).  I never call my pup for something she doesn't like, or for scolding...I always want her to think that coming to me means something great is going to happen.  So far, so good!  She is starting to turn and run to me when I call her, sometimes leaping straight into my chest in her enthusiasm!  I'm working on that "sit" after recall, since in a few short months she will be a 25 pound ball of muscle slamming into me if I don't curb that enthusiasm just a degree or two.  

I'm going to be introducing the clicker into her training shortly...I've read two books and it seems like a great way to communicate with your dog.  As soon as Lolli gets more comfortable with her collar, we will start leash work.  It seems unfair to expect her to respond on a lead when the collar is giving her so much grief right now!  I'm pretty sure she will be used to it in a few more days.

No comments:

Post a Comment